SPAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
MONDAY, August 23, 2017
6:00 pm SPAR OFFICE
Present: Michelle Tappouni, President, Todd Hollinghead, Vice President, Aaron Glick, Secretary, Jack Adams, Treasurer, Yolanda Copeland, Joey Marchy, Jaimee Stewart, Tim Hope, Bill Hoff, Ex Officio
Not Present: Jamie Toraason, Adam Valiani
Present: Christina Parrish, Executive Director, Kevin O’Halloran, Americorps
Guests: Diane Graese
CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order by President Michelle Tappouni at 6:11 pm.
APPROVAL OF JULY 2017 BOARD MEETING MINUTES
REVIEW OF AUGUST TREASURER’S REPORT
COMMENTS FROM GUESTS:
Diane Graese is working on a project with SIAA on archiving of all previous Home Tour books and
homes on the tour.
RECOMMENDATIONS TO BOARD FROM EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
• Recommend approval of one-time transfer to membership dues collected through 2017 Spring
Home Tour Sponsorships of $2,950 to be deposited into the SAMBA account. All future events
that offer membership status as part of sponsor package will need to reflect expense as part of
event budget. (CCC)
- Email votes recommended and approved by board:
• Add 5K race and related activities to SPAR PorchFest event includes payment of $3,500 fee to
First Place Sports. (ED)
• Convert Kevin O’Halloran from AmeriCorps intern to contract with SPAR up to 20 hours per
week at agreed upon hourly rate for August and September. (ED)
STRATEGIC PLANNING DISCUSSION
• Strategic Plan Update; New Meeting Date(s) to be decided upon by Board to provide more time to
complete assigned strategies.
o Due date for strategies extended to 8/31/2017.
o Revised schedule for last two strategic planning meetings with Leah Donelan 1st meeting
9/14/2017, 2nd meeting and final approval 9/25/2017*
*due to hurricane strategic planning meetings with Leah Donelan postponed to 1st meeting
9/25/2017, 2nd meeting and final approval 10/11/2017
COMMITTEE REPORTS (Consent Agenda)
• Administrative: Building, Design Review, Fund Development
• Building Committee to convene in the future to discuss potential sale of building
• Michael Montoya new Design Review Chair, to meet monthly with HPC staff
• LISC HS4 Grant – Jamie volunteered to work with Michelle on new policies required by grant,
have met to discuss
• Clean Up – 9th and Liberty, Sept 16th, 9 AM.
• State Attorney to release results on 9th and Liberty police shooting, will keep Board apprised.
• Requested involvement in process for new branding of SPAR/SAMBA (Joey Marchy)
• Opportunities for SAMBA to fund additional façade grants
• See report
• July 4th Results, PorchFest, Second Sundays, Home Tour 2018
o Board asked to be engaged on active fundraising/sponsorships for PorchFest
o August Second Sunday profit $1,500. Next Second Sundays; Sept 10th, October 8th
o Second Sundays hours to shift to 4 PM to 7 PM.
• Interested volunteers should coordinate with Tiare Bugarin.
• Discussion of completion of project manuals for Home Tour (Hoff) and PorchFest (Parrish)
• Preparing Draft 2017-2018 Budget, need more input from Board/ committees
• New Slate of Candidates for the Board, Committee has reviewed applications and resumes and
has chosen 6 candidates to fill vacant and soon to be vacant positions.
o MOTION – To accept the slate of candidates as selected by the Governance Committee,
• Discussion of upcoming board training through Nonprofit Center
o MOTION – Allocate up to $500 to cover registration costs of Board Leadership seminar
and training event, APPROVED
• Committee to meet end of August.
• Membership period defined from the day you join, will expire the month the following year
URBAN CORE CPAC
• See report
EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS REPORT
• See report
• Board to Draft statement for press inquiries regarding Confederate Park/Confederate
Memorials. Strategies discussed and action items assigned.
ITEMS REFERRED TO COMMITTEES
NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS
• Annual Meeting 09/21/2017
• Executive Committee 09/13/2017
• BOD Meeting 09/25/2017
Meeting was adjourned at 8:54